Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers

Sunday, April 6, 2008

We have baby birds!

A couple of weeks ago I hung up some ferns on the front porch and within a day I noticed they were looking a little "picked over". Well, within another day or two, they looked pathetic and one of them had about 1/3 of it missing! I went over to investigate and it turns out that a bird had built a little nest in there (and picked apart the other two ferns to construct the nest, I think!)
I didn't have the heart to take down the fern, so I just left it- ugly as it was- and a couple days later I noticed 5 little blue, spotted eggs! Of course now I wouldn't think of bothering the nest! Anyway, I see the mommy bird every day (she's a Blue Bird and SO beautiful!), although she's not all that friendly... she squawks at us if we're in the front yard and if she sees me lingering near the front door she acts like she's going to dive-bomb me!
Well this evening I went out to check on the progress and one of the eggs had hatched and there was a little baby bird in there with his mouth wide open!! Ellie and I watched as 2 others hatched... it was the coolest thing! We went in after a few minutes so the mommy could tend to her brand new babies. I'll post more updates over the next few days. Here's some pics... enjoy!


1 comment:

Jenn Cav said...

That is so cool! Too bad we visited a day too early. Wish we could have seen it!