Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers

Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Visit to the Hospital

No, thankfully this time we weren't visiting because we're sick! We went to spend some time with Daniel and get a tour of MGH. Daniel's had a weird schedule this week and often ends up with some free time in the early afternoon. It was such a treat for Ellie to get to see Daddy in the middle of the day, plus, the tour of the historical parts of the hospital was really cool too.


MGH has its own T Stop, and this is the very edge of the campus that you see as soon as you get off:
It keeps going for a few blocks until you reach the main entrance.
The campus is under construction right now... adding MORE buildings!
I thought it was funny that in the lobby you have the option to check in in about 10 different languages!


We visited the Ether Dome, where, in 1846, the first public demonstration of anesthesia during surgery was performed. I have to say, this place was a bit creepy to me... The "theater" seating was really really steep and the chairs were very uncomfortable- I can't imagine sitting in one while watching a surgery be performed! To get to the dome, you have to climb a couple flights of narrow stairways. Here is a painting depicting the first use of ether as anesthesia... again, really life-like!

The steep theater seating. The dome was built in such a way as to capture as much sunlight as possible from the roof... hadn't thought about the fact that they didn't have electric lights to use during surgeries!!
Used for early anatomy lessons... do you see what I mean with the creepy vibe??! There was a boxed-up mummy on the other side of the room!
Keeping with the creepy theme; some early surgical tools: You may notice a hack-saw!! Now, I realize that they still use saws and other, um, common household-type tools for surgeries today, but something about seeing a rusty old saw, pliers, etc that looked like they could have easily been used to trim up the garden, really got to me!

I guess this is what they wore before scrubs! ... and I thought the short white coat was dorky!

Ellie had a great time running through the grass in the courtyard.

Daniel thought I was silly for taking this picture, but I just thought it was funny that his tag says that he's a "Harvard Medical Student"! Does this mean that after this month he'll be alumni??! haha.

2 comments:

Jalyn said...

Look at Dan in his white coat-that is too fun!! I'm glad you guys are enjoying it there, it is beautiful.
Oh and we'll have to chat soon about Ellie not eating...Marin's not a big fan either. : )

Anonymous said...

Umm, yeah I'm with you...a little creepy. I'm so glad there are people like Daniel and Phillip who deal with that sort of stuff, cause I can't!